The name of the Association shall be the Vascular Anaesthesia Society Of Great Britain and Ireland, also known as the VASGBI.
The objectives of the VASGBI shall be:-
- To promote the highest standard of management and care for patients suffering from cardiovascular disorders, and in particular those undergoing vascular surgery.
- To further the development of the art and science of vascular anaesthesia. To that end the VASGBI is committed to the following:-
i) to hold regular educational meetings
ii) to encourage the presentation of original research
iii) to encourage national and international links with like-minded groups
iv) to be active in all matters concerning the training of future vascular anaesthetists.
v) to represent the views of vascular anaesthetists to any other interested parties
Full membership of the VASGBI shall be open to the following:
- Medical practitioners in Anaesthesia who are active in the care of vascular patients, or in research in matters relevant to vascular anaesthesia.
Retired full membership of the VASGBI shall be open to the following:
- Full members who have retired from NHS practice. Retired full members should have reached their 60th birthday. Retired full members and honorary members will continue to enjoy the rights and privileges of membership, including the right to vote.
Honorary membership of VASGBI shall be open to the following:
- Full members of the VASGBI who are judged by their peers to be distinguished contributors to vascular anaesthesia. Honorary membership shall be given by election or by acclaim of the full membership
All full members of VASGBI shall pay such subscriptions and at such times as may be decided by the full members. Subscriptions will be collected annually
The Committee shall consist of not fewer than six full members to be elected from among and by the full members by a postal ballot, normally for a term of 3 years. A Committee member may be re-elected for a further term of 3 years. If the committee member takes on an Officer role they may extend their term to complete this role. (2011 amendment) A committee member may be re-elected after a period of not less than 3 years have elapsed since his or her departure from the Committee. The committee shall have a trainee elected member who may serve a single 3 year term. (2011 – amendment)
All questions arising at any meeting of the Committee shall be decided by a simple majority of those present, excluding the Chairman or in his absence, his or her deputy. In case of equality of votes, the Chairman or his or her deputy shall have a casting vote.
The Officers of the Committee shall be the Chairman, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer. They shall be elected by the full members of the Committee and their appointment shall be ratified every year. The Treasurer role can be for a period of up to 5 years.(2011 amendment)
The Committee shall meet not less than once yearly.
There shall be Research, Education and Audit Sub-Committees. Members of these Committee will be co-opted from the membership of the Society, but will include at least one member of the main Committee. The maximum term for each member will be six years. Members of each Sub-Committee will elect their own Chairman. The Chairman of each Sub-Committee will be co-opted to the membership of the main Committee.
There shall be Research, Education and Audit sub-committees. Members of these committees will be co-opted from the membership of the Society, but will have to include at least one member of the main Committee. The maximum term for each members shall be 6 years. Members of each sub-committee shall elect their own chairman.
6. Responsibilities of the Committee
The general policy of the committee shall be to serve the objective and the members of the VASGBI. Accordingly, the officers shall perform the duties ascribed to them by the full membership.
Subject to the limitation hereinafter mentioned, the Committee shall in addition have power to do the following:-